Monday, August 22, 2011

Nothing New

I was standing in Borders Books in Seattle last week looking at the shelves, wondering why anyone would spend full price on these books when you can get them for half the price, maybe less, on the internet or in thrift stores.

This was a slightly fucked up thought, because I was also feeling sad about Borders closing.  I was spinning on chain bookstores closing, and little independant bookstores closing and mom and pop shops closing and even video stores closing, and how sad it all is.  This phrase, "democratization of culture" keeps popping in my head.  I don't know if it means what I think it means, but to me it's how everything is getting more general, less unique, more mass produced, made with less care.

I just looked it up.  Well, I half-heartedly looked it up.  I don't think it's inappropriate.  What gets me down is the idea that everyone is becoming so insulated in their little worlds eventually no one will experience anything really new or real.  Everything will be purchased on the internet and shipped to your home.  Your relationships will be most meaningful in cyberspace, and your consumption of art or culture or life will happen through a screen, rather than with other people in the world.  The meaningful part of loaning someone a book will be lost, because no one will read books anymore.  You won't borrow my dog-eared copy of Ender's Game, you won't feel in your hand that I must've read it at least six times, and wonder about who else I've loaned it to.  You won't see where I folded down the pages to go to sleep at night, and my underlinings won't cause you to go back to reread a section you might've skimmed otherwise.

You won't go out and exhaust yourself dancing all night in a sweaty bar with your friends, you won't go experience live dance or theatre with all their flaws and gems, you won't take in your neighbor's garden while you walk to the store.

Some where out of this spin came the idea that I shouldn't buy anything new for a six months.  I realize that it seems a bit counterintuitive when I've just been talking about bookstores closing.  And I also realize that for me this is not an unthinkable task.  I like other people's used things.  I have a reputation for it, in fact.  I guess this is motivated by a number of factors.  Our throwaway culture is one part of it.  People buy things and get rid of them without a second thought.  If everything is replaceable then nothing is special.  I am sort of a pack rat, but I think there's virtue in my hoarding.  I remember who gave me these earrings, or passed this tee shirt on to me.  I remember who I was with when I got this bag, or the store and maybe even the day where I bought this book.  I think about those people or those times when I hold that item.  Things shouldn't just be thrown away.  Our world is cluttered and full of trash.

I am also financially motivated.  Obviously times are tough, and this will make me look at whether or not I really need something.  And if I can't find something used, it will force me to be inventive and to use my imagination.  Not a bad thing.

There are exceptions though: food (obvi), undergarments (obvi), shoes.  Also, I will make targeted exceptions in cases where I specifically want to support something.  An author, for example.  Admittedly, I don't buy a lot of new books anyway, but there have been times when I specifically purchased a book new because I wanted to support that author.  Artists have got to look out for each other after all.

So I'm starting now.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent idea. I wish you luck with this one. Love Orson Scott Card. Nice anecdotes in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Derwood! I am sure I'll have more to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I share your distaste for some of the sentimental consequences of our digital age, I don't think the synthetic will ever replace everything real in a neo-digital dystopia, though it might seem like that for a while.

    As artists, perhaps what we're experiencing is an early backlash against society's apparent infatuation with everything virtual, though I'd stop short of suggesting that it'll change everything forever.

    Consider the market value between the real vs. the synthetic in Phillip K. Dick's, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade Runner). Because the market became flooded with cheap facsimiles of real things, the real had much greater value. Sure, you could own a digital sheep, but a real one was much more valuable, both on the open market and as a sign of social class.

    We haven't hit critical mass yet and I doubt we'll live to see it. But it'll even out, eventually...or we'll have to take jobs hunting down sexy, synthetic cyborgs that return from work camps on Mars to ascertain why their creator doesn't love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff it's interesting you say that, because as I was writing this there was the thought at the back of my mind when things were scarce, and valuable for that reason. I'm not saying I want books to be available only to rich people of course.

    I worry also about information being lost. It seems right now that the internet is forever, but cyber-warfare is in our future, and I sort of think the internet will crash at some point. Better create things that exist outside cyberspace.

    I read a really interesting book called "Circuit of Heaven" about this; everyone was leaving their bodies behind to live forever in net.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the arrival of Vivian, I've been thinking a lot about using resources to their full potential. Whether I really need a certain baby item, or if I should return it to get something we'll use. We got a lot of awesome hand-me-downs, and i'm thinking about what I'll pass on to my next friend who has a kid, and what I'll save for my next one. Nothing like living on one salary to get you thinking about consumption.

    Also- I like my books but I've always been more of a library person. I pray they never become obsolete...

    ReplyDelete