Friday, July 27, 2012

Fat Athletes

I love that the Google home page today celebrates people of all shapes and sizes.  We all have body issues, right?  (Let me get up on my soapbox once more to yell about how I resent the boxes society tries to put me in.)  I think my breasts are too small/I'm too tall/my belly is too round/my feet are too big/my hair is too big - WHATEVER.  So in general I'm in favor of media and artists giving me images I can live up to, rather than airbrushed Barbies.  At face value this picture does that, right?  Pictured above I see a rainbow team including: a soccer ball shaped football player, pearish swimmer, lanky runner, squat javelin thrower, and perky fencer.  Great.  Except that Olympic athletes give up normalcy to attain peak physical form.  They spend years becoming perfect specimens at the top of their sport.  You're not fooling anyone, Internet. We know what Olympic athletes look like:  

Hmm...  Well those athletes are actually pretty varied...  They do look a hell of a lot more fit than those lumpy cartoons above though.  In which case, what's the lesson here?  Is it that Americans are into watching TV and eating fast food and turning off their brains?  A, "Shape up couch potatoes! It's not okay to be healthy and inactive!" sort of lesson?  Or is it a "Hey Media!  You're making me miserable with these ideas you're shoving down my throat!" sort of lesson?  I don't know.  But once I finish this dark chocolate bar I am going to figure it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment