Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Surrealist Awards

So last night I went to the LA Weekly 32 Annual Theatre Awards.  The *ahem adult retelling of Winnie the Pooh I was in last year-Dirty Pooh, was nominated for best comedy ensemble.  Who dat!  I played Rabbit.  Why I have no pictures of myself as Rabbit is a mystery.
When I was looking at the invite I thought it was a bit weird that it had a theme-what awards ceremony has a theme?  But you know me, any excuse to dress up, so pj's it would be.  Yeah, that's right, it was a pajama party theme.  Okay.  So that's an excuse for dudes not to have to get dressed while women wear something skimpy.  Right?
Whatev's.  Rather than wearing saggy fleece pants covered with kitty hair or a nightie, I decided to go comical and edgy.  I mean, after all, I was there because I was nominated for a play that took the text of Winnie the Pooh verbatim and found every possible innuendo.  So I wore a man's shirt.

This is the part where you make scandalized comments about what I'm wearing.  Go for it.  Get it out.  I can take it.  You're only young and foolish once, right?  Besides, look at my lovely bodyguard, Jaclyn.  She does Muay Thai.  That's right, don't mess with her.

The whole event was so surreal.  You have the El Rey Theatre, a lovely venue.  You've got a bunch of LA theatre weirdos (including darling Deva!) wearing every possible form of pajamas.   
Darling Deva!
There was a haunted house featuring scenes of slumber parties gone wrong (where I found Billy Minogue!)
I don't know why, but I was unable to rotate these pictures.  Which is fine given that after my third gin and tonic this is pretty much how the world looked anyway. 
The  weird thing though was that the entertainment for the evening was a tween band called Ash Panda.  They sang some standards-you know, Led Zepplin, Van Halen.  A bunch of bands from before they were born.  Not only that, but the evening was combined with the LAUSD Middle School Drama awards.  Now, call me crazy, but don't you think that if you're inviting a bunch of adult actors and theatre folk to a pajama party themed awards ceremony that it might be a good idea to let them know there would be a bunch of kids there?  Because, let me be sure you understand this:

Had I known there would be kids there, I would've worn pants.

That's right.  I do have limits to my indecency, and corrupting 12 year olds is one of them.

Oh well.  We didn't win, and drinks were expensive.  And we left too early to score the after party catering (I KNEW it was supposed to be catered!  I just didn't realize it was later on!  Bah humbug!)  But I did get nominated for an award.  BOOYAH

No comments:

Post a Comment