Monday, October 31, 2011

Wanty-wanty

For whatever reason I went to Hollywood and Highland center three times in a week.  Once to meet a friend, once for an audition (classy) and once to buy some foundation for a shoot.  Makeup falls under my toiletries caveat as far as used things only, especially since it was for filming.

It was interesting observing the mall from the point of view of buying nothing new.  I've never been a big mall shopper obviously, but before I made the conscious decision to buy only used items I would've given in to the feeling I had when I was surrounded by Bebe and Lucky and... the rest of the forgettable stores at the mall.  A feeling of wantingness.  A feeling like what I have or what I am is not enough.  A feeling created by that little voice in the back of my head who sees a window display and says, "Go check out the sale rack.  Just to see what's there."

I didn't need anything at the mall.  I accumulate new (to me) things all the time, regardless of buying used things only.  But this time I was able to observe that wanty little Golem in my stomach and say, "No.  You don't need those shiny things.  Get over it."

And let's be honest, in some ways this nothing new thing has just given me an excuse to shop the thrift stores more.  Because when you can get things new you have to be looking all the time.  I don't go intending to buy one hard and fast item.  I have a shifting list of things I'm looking for, and if I don't find them it's not the end of the world.

I'm thinking about extending this thing to a year.  So far six months doesn't seem that tough.  I do feel like I've been a bit lax about documenting it lately, but I'm not sure people want that many boring details...  Check back and I'll post some photos of some of the used stuff I've picked up lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment